Types of Professionals

Morgan Health Centers

Types of Professionals

Alphabet soup of certifications & credentials

Mental health is a broad and complex issue that requires different types of support or treatment.
There are various types of professionals who provide different mental health services.

The following types of mental health professionals have advanced training in therapy and are certified by their respective boards.

Psychiatrist (M.D. or D.O.)

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (M.D. or D.O.) who specialized in mental health. Because they are physicians, psychiatrists can prescribe medication.

Qualifications: should have a state license and be board eligible or certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.

Psychologist (PhD.)

Psychologist with a doctoral degree in psychology (Ph.D. or Psy.D.) from an accredited/designated doctoral program in psychology and two years of supervised professional experience, including a year long internship from an approved internship. Trained to make diagnoses and provide individual and group therapy.

Qualifications: and for some psychologists, credentialing as a health service provider in psychology.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW) have a Master’s degree in social work (MSW) from an accredited graduate program. along with additional clinical training. Trained to make diagnoses and provide individual and group counseling.

Qualifications: state license; may be member of the Academy of Certified Social Workers.

Licensed Marital & Family Therapist (LMFT)

Marital and Family Therapists (MFT) have a Master’s degree and clinical experience in marital and family therapy. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.

Qualifications: state license

Mental Health Counselor (MHC)

Counselor with a masters degree and several years of supervised clinical work experience. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.

Qualifications: certification by the National Academy of Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselors.

Nurse Psychotherapist

A registered nurse who is trained in the practice of psychiatric and mental health nursing. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.

Qualifications: certification, state license.

Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)

Counselor with a masters degree in psychology, counseling or a related field. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.

Qualifications: state license

Certified Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselor

Substance abuse therapists work to identify issues that cause addiction in their clients. They are available to help patients in a short-term crisis and also provide long-term care. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling.

Qualifications: state license

Masters in Counseling (MCoun.)

Masters in Counseling is focused primarily on overall health and well-being of the client. The specializations usually include children and families, school counseling, marriage counseling, and addiction counseling.

Qualifications: Licensure through the National Board of Certified Counselors and requires a nationally recognized examination and work experience.

Licensed Clinical Professional Therapist (LCPC)

Clinical therapists work with patients who have severe mental disorders. In addition to a master’s degree and state licensure, they must complete a clinical component during their education.

Doctorate of Social Work (DSW)

A DSW degree represents the highest level of education in the field of social work. The degree is sometimes referred to as a Doctorate in Clinical Social Work.


Let's Get To Work​

Morgan Health Centers is staffed with experienced, licensed mental health professionals including, psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and nurse practitioners. One of the most important elements of effective therapy is a safe and trusting relationship through the developing alliance between therapist and patient and through this bond, a new way of interacting with self and others will be born.

Credential Abbreviations​

Therapists have a wide range of credentials (academic degrees, licenses, certifications, etc.) which appear in the form of abbreviations or acronyms following the therapist’s name. The list below presents some of the more common credential abbreviations and their meanings.

Academic Degrees

  • DDiv Doctor of Divinity
  • DMin Doctor of Ministry
  • DO Doctor of Osteopathy
  • DrPH Doctor of Public Health
  • DSW Doctor of Social Work
  • EdD Doctor of Education
  • EdM Master of Education
  • MA Master of Arts
  • MAHS Master of Arts in Human Services
  • MAOP Master of Arts in Organizational Psychology
  • MC Master of Counseling
  • MD Doctor of Medicine
  • MDiv Masters in Divinity
  • MEd Master of Education
  • MHDL Master of Human Development & Learning
  • MPH Master of Public Health
  • MPS Master of Professional Studies
  • MS Master of Science
  • MSc Master of Science
  • MSEd Master of Science in Education
  • MSN Master of Science in Nursing
  • MSS Master of Social Science
  • MSSW Master of Science in Social Work
  • MSW Master of Social Work
  • PhD Doctor of Philosophy
  • PsyaD Doctor of Psychoanalysis
  • PsyD Doctor of Psychology
  • ScD Doctor of Science

Licenses and Certifications

  • ABECSW American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
  • ABFamP American Board of Family Psychology
  • ABPN American Board of Professional Neuropsychology
  • ABPP American Board of Professional Psychology
  • ACSW Academy of Clinical Social Workers
  • ADTR Academy of Dance Therapists Registered
  • APRN Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
  • ATR Registered Art Therapist
  • ATR-BC Registered Art Therapist – Board Certified
  • BCBT Board Certification in Bereavement Trauma™
  • BCD Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
  • BCDT Board Certification in Disability Trauma™
  • BCDV Board Certification in Domestic Violence™
  • BCETS Board Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress™
  • BCFT Board Certification in Forensic Traumatology™
  • BCIT Board Certification in Illness Trauma™
  • BCMVT Board Certification in Motor Vehicle Trauma™
  • BCPM Board Certification in Pain Management™
  • BCRT Board Certification in Rape Trauma™
  • BCSA Board Certification in Sexual Abuse™
  • BCSCR Board Certification in School Crisis Response™
  • BCSM Board Certification in Stress Management™
  • BCUCR Board Certification in University Crisis Response™
  • CAC Certified Addictions Counselor -or- Certified Alcoholism Counselor
  • CADAC Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor
  • CADC Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor
  • CAGS Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study
  • CAMF Certified Anger Management Facilitator
  • CAP Certified Addictions Professional
  • CART Certified Anger Resolution Therapist
  • CAS Certified Addiction Specialist
  • CASAC Certified Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselor
  • CBT Certified Bioenergetic Therapist
  • CCADC Certified Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor
  • CCDP Certified Chemical Dependency Professional
  • CCH Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist
  • CCHT Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist
  • CCPT Certified Clinical Pastoral Therapist
  • CCMH Clinical Counselor in Mental Health
  • CCMHC Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor
  • CCSW Certified Clinical Social Worker
  • CEAP Certified Employee Assistance Professional
  • CEDS Certified Eating Disorders Specialist
  • CFLE Certified Family Life Educator
  • CGP Certified Group Psychotherapist
  • CHT Certified Hypnotherapist
  • CICSW Certified Independent Clinical Social Worker
  • CISW Certified Independent Social Worker
  • CMFT Certified Marriage and Family Therapist
  • CP Certified Psychologist -or- Clinical Psychologist
  • CpastC Certified Pastoral Counselor
  • CPC Certified Professional Counselor
  • CPLC Certified Professional Life Coach
  • CRADC Certified Reciprocal Alcohol and Drug Counselor
  • CRC Certified Rehabilitation Counselor
  • CSAC Certified Substance Abuse Counselor
  • CSW Certified Social Worker -or- Clinical Social Worker
  • CSW-C Certified Social Worker – Clinical
  • DAPA Diplomate, American Psychotherapy Association
  • DCSW Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
  • DOT SAP Department of Transportation Substance Abuse Professional
  • DTR Dance Therapist Registered
  • LAC Licensed Associate Counselor
  • LADAC Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor
  • LADC Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor
  • LAMFT Licensed Associate Marriage and Family Therapist
  • LAPC Licensed Associate Professional Counselor
  • LASAC Licensed Associate Substance Abuse Counselor
  • LCADC Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor
  • LCAS Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist
  • LCAT Licensed Creative Arts Therapist
  • LCDC Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor
  • LCDP Licensed Chemical Dependency Professional
  • LCMFT Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist
  • LCMHC Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor
  • LCP Licensed Clinical Psychologist -or- Licensed Counseling Professional
  • LCPC Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
  • LCSW Licensed Clinical Social Worker
  • LCSW-C Licensed Certified Social Worker-Clinical
  • LGSW Licensed Graduate Social Worker
  • LICSW Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
  • LIMFT Licensed Independent Marriage and Family Therapist
  • LISW Licensed Independent Social Worker
  • LISW-CP Licensed Independent Social Worker – Clinical Practice
  • LLP Limited Licensed Psychologist
  • LMFT Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
  • LMHC Licensed Mental Health Counselor
  • LMHP Licensed Mental Health Practitioner
  • LMSW Licensed Master Social Worker
  • LMSW-ACP Licensed Master Social Worker – Advanced Clinical Practitioner
  • LP Licensed Psychoanalyst -or- Licensed Psychologist
  • LPA Licensed Psychological Associate
  • LpastC Licensed Pastoral Counselor
  • LPC Licensed Professional Counselor
  • LPCC Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
  • LPCMH Licensed Professional Counselor of Mental Health
  • LPE Licensed Psychological Examiner
  • LPP Licensed Pastoral Psychotherapist
  • LSATP Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner
  • LSCSW Licensed Specialist Clinical Social Worker
  • LSP Licensed School Psychologist
  • LSW Licensed Social Worker
  • MAC Master Addiction Counselor – also offered by NAADAC
  • MFCC Marriage, Family and Child Counselor
  • MFT Marriage and Family Therapist
  • MT-BC Music Therapist – Board Certified
  • NBCCH National Board Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist
  • NBCDCH National Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Hypnotherapy
  • NCC National Certified Counselor
  • NCPsyA Nationally Certified Psychoanalyst
  • NCSC National Certified School Counselor
  • NCSP Nationally Certified School Psychologist
  • PA Psychological Associate
  • PLMHP Provisionally Licensed Mental Health Practitioner
  • PLPC Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor
  • PMHNP Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
  • RAS Registered Addiction Specialist
  • RDT Registered Drama Therapist
  • REAT Registered Expressive Arts Therapist
  • RN Registered Nurse
  • RPC Registered Professional Counselor
  • RPT Registered Play Therapist
  • RPT-S Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor
  • SAP Substance Abuse Professional
  • SW Social Worker
  • TLLP Temporary Limited License Psychologist